Followers

Monday, October 12, 2015

PENGAT PISANG WITH SAGO

I had this recipe in my list of desserts to do quite some time ago. Now, I cannot defer to prepare it anymore cos’ I would like to link this post to Little Thumbs Up Event - October 2015 theme on ‘Coconut’.
This dessert is delicious serve warm or hot. Best to serve it once cooked if you do not like the bananas to taste sourish. The cooked bananas do taste a little sourish afterwards. Here, I used Cavendish Bananas bought from Tesco instead of Pisang Raja. You can use any cooking bananas of your choice and perhaps it may not be sourish.
Overall, this is a delicious dessert that it not too sweet yet tasty.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 91 [modified]
Ingredients
[serves 4-5]
50 gm sago – rinsed and soaked with some water for 15 minutes
750 ml water
1 piece [about 40 gm] Gula Melaka [palm sugar] – chopped into smaller pieces
50 gm castor sugar
3 pandan leaves – washed and knotted
2 Cavendish bananas – peeled and sliced 1 cm thick pieces
150 ml coconut milk mix with ½ tsp salt to taste
  1. Put water and pandan leaves into a pot, bring to boil, then add in sago.
  2. Stir to cook until transparent.
  3. Add in palm sugar, sugar and bananas. Stir and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
  4. Add in coconut milk, bring to boil.  Off heat.
  5. Scoop into individual bowls.  Serve hot as a snack or dessert.
I am submitting this post to
Little Thumbs Up Event - October 2015 Theme - Coconut organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Jess of Bakericious

I am also submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event#27 - October 2015 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

6 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, my late grandma used to cook pengat pisang. Though I like the fragrant gravy, I don't like the pisang because it is too soft for me.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, yes the gravy is very fragrant. I like the taste. I was afraid the bananas will be too soft to my liking. Once they are cooked, I off the heat and did not cover the pot to prevent further cooking.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

Shame on me to say that this dessert is completely new to me. Glad that I have discovered this wonderful recipe from you.

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hahaha Zoe, perhaps it is to simple we overlooked. But this is nice and so quick and easy to cook.

Holy Food said...

Very interesting idea I'll definitely try this.
very nice,Thanks for sharing this.

Bakericious said...

I never eat this dessert before but looks good to me.