The scallops that she used are from Japan and I know that they are pricey.
This recipe which I used is a 'pauper' version which I hope to share with some readers who are looking for a more economical recipe. Here, I have omitted the scallops and used the meaty pork ribs which can be eaten too. There are the smaller size scallops available at the grocery stalls which is much cheaper but I have no idea how is the quality.
The soup is clear, tasty, nutritious and healthy.
1 medium size old cucumber
1 carrot - cut chunky pieces
1/2 dried squid - cut smaller pieces and rinsed well
3-4 pieces [300 gm] meaty pork ribs
10 red dates
1 litre water
some peppercorns - crushed
3 cloves garlic - keep whole
salt and msg to taste
- Sliced old cucumber diagonally and deseeded.
- Blanched pork ribs and rinsed to remove scums.
- Bring water to boil with pork ribs, peppercorns and garlic for about 20 minutes in the inner pot of thermal cooker.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and seasoning to taste.
- Cover with lid, transfer pot to outer pot, close cover and leave to cook for 1-2 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Serve immediately or reheat before serving if you like boiling hot soup.