It is one that isn't sweet which is the main reason why I made it. The sago cake is soft and chewy, not sweet at all and is good to snack on it with the coating of white grated coconut that has a tinge of salt.
300 gm pearl sago
6 pandan leaves [blend with 150 ml water]
3-4 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- Soak sago with some water for 1 hour but rinse it 2-3 times during this time. Drain off excess water.
- Blend pandan leaves with 150 ml water. Strain to extract the pandan juice. Pour into sago and soak for about 30 minutes. Drain off excess water.
- Stir in the sugar and cornflour. Mix well.
- Pour into a steaming tray [about 7 inch pan] lined with cling wrap.
- Steam over high heat until sago turns translucent [about 30-40 minutes].
- Remove from steamer and leave to cool for several hours before slicing.
- Coat with white coconut and serve.