Cooking vegetarian curries in Penang is a breeze cos' we can easily get the ready-mix curry paste for whatever curries you like to cook at the wet markets. This time again, I bought the ready-mix curry paste for this curry [weighs 150 gm for RM 1.50].
Since I'm cooking curry with potatoes and dried soy chunks [see image below], I choose the curry paste for Mutton Curry. The curry is thick not like for vegetable curries. See the soy chunks after cooking, looks like meat pieces.
100 gm dried soy gluten chunks - soaked in water for about 30 minutes to plump up
6 medium size potatoes - peeled and cut chunks
100 gm tofu puffs - halved
2 sprigs curry leaves
150 gm wet ready-mix curry paste
120 ml thick coconut milk
enough water to cover ingredients
2 tbsp light soy sauce
salt and sugar to taste
100 ml oil
- Heat oil in wok, add in curry paste and curry leaves. Fry until fragrant and oil separates.
- Add in potatoes and soy chunks. Stir fry to mix well.
- Add in some water, bring to boil for a while before adding more water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring to boil, cover to cook until the potatoes and soy chunks are tender. Add in tofu puffs and seasoning to taste.
- Lastly add in coconut milk, bring to boil again.
- Dish up to serve.