I find that it is better to cook this dish and serve it in 2 ways. That is to divide the braised pork belly into 2 portions. One with just the pork belly and the other portion served with fried cabbage. The braised pork belly looks simple enough but it is tasty especially when you use good light soy sauce. For the braised pork belly, I used Kikkoman light soy sauce. It was so fragrant while the meat is braising. Of course, it tasted good too.
Ingredients for Braised Pork Belly
500 gm pork belly
1 clove garlic - chopped [more if you like garlic]
1 tbsp oil
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 -2 tsp sugar
500 ml water
- Put pork belly in boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. Dish up, rinse and cut into thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a pot and saute garlic until aromatic. Add in the pork belly and stir well or slightly brown.
- Add in seasoning and water. Bring to boil and lower heat. Continue to simmer until meat is tender and gravy slightly reduce.
- Serve on its own or with fried cabbage.
Ingredients for Fried Cabbage
300 gm cabbage - shredded
1 carrot - peeled and cut into strips
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp chopped garlic
Some spring onions for garnishing - optional
- Heat oil in wok, saute garlic until fragrant. Add in cabbage and carrot, stir fry until cooked.
- Add in braised pork belly with gravy and stir well.
- Dish up to serve, garnish with some spring onions. Serve hot.
Also submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.