Has been a long time since I last prepared smoked chicken and this is also the first chicken dish I cooked after the 9 day long vegetarian diet. Simply inviting and of course appetising too.
When my hubby saw the plate of chopped smoked chicken, he said "You really went to buy ready cooked chicken?" I was thinking to myself, "Why must anything that looks good be store bought and not home-made?". He was surprised it is not roasted chicken but smoked chicken.
Anyway, we enjoyed chewy at it very much with aromatic chicken flavoured rice. I wouldn't mind cooking this chicken again. The original recipe uses whole chicken but I used 2 chicken whole legs.Verdict - tender, juicy, tasty and meaty chicken drumstick. The herbal flavour is not distinct after I used tea leaves to smoke them.
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 89 with modifications
1 whole chicken [about 1.5 kg]
30 gm sliced ginger
2 stalks spring onions
dash of sesame oil [optional]
5 slices dong guai - chopped
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp shaoxing wine
2 tbsp each of tea leaves, brown sugar and rice [replace with plain flour]
- Rub marinade all over chicken. Put dong guai, ginger and spring onions into the chicken stomach or bottom of the steaming plate if using chicken whole legs for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
- Steam chicken over high heat for 30 minutes [whole chicken] or 15 minutes [chicken whole legs] until cooked.
- Remove to cool and reserve gravy.
- Line wok with aluminium foil [2 layers]. Put all the smoke ingredients onto foil. Place a rack on smoke ingredients and put steamed chicken on top. Cover with lid.
- Heat wok with high heat until smoke appears. Lower heat to medium low and continue to smoke for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken, brush with some sesame oil and rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting up to serve with rice and other condiments.
300 gm fragrant rice - washed and draine
1 tbsp chicken stock concentrate
1 tsp sesame oil
350 ml water
1 tbsp butter
5 cm piece ginger - crushed
3 pips garlic - crushed
- Put ingredients B into cooker [I used steamer]. Bring to boil.
- Add in ingredients A and stir well.
- Auto cook the rice in cooker or steamer until cooked. For steamer, cooked for 30 minutes.
- Fluff up the rice and serve with smoked chicken.