Followers

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Mi Koo III

Steamed Mi Koo again for Cheng Beng [Chinese All Souls Day] prayers.  Made this portion just enough for my mum and my mother in-law.  


It's worthwhile making it especially this time,  moreover it can be frozen and eaten late cos's usually during praying time there are lots and lots of other food to eat.  
This is the first time, I made use of my small 2 tier electric steamer, very convenient.  Because my steamer is small, I shaped the Mi Koo into round shapes.  I can steam 4 pieces at a time.  From this portion, I made 12 pieces instead of the usual 8 pieces.
Please refer here Steamed Red Skin Buns [Sponge Dough Method] or Red Skin Bun [Mi Koo] for the recipe.
For this post, I used the Red Skin Bun [Mi Koo] method.  Both methods yield good Mi Koo.  Try using pau flour instead of plain flour if you prefer the buns to be whiter.
You can also make 1/2 portion and shape them into small buns as shown in the picture below.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Haven't try making mi ku. Thinking of frying mi ku slices with egg. My kids will appreciate them more :D love your mi ku!

kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, hmm, me too didn't fry Mi Koo slices with egg for a long time. It's esp. yummy if you steam the slices first before frying with egg. We used to bring it to school for recess time.

Agnes CF Lee said...

I have got a similar steamer but never used it to make steamed bun.

kimmy said...

Hi Agnes, try using the steamer to steam paus and this Mi Koo. It's very useful and good cos' the bun base is dry, no vapour condensation, perfect [just make sure the buns are not place too near the sides of the steaming trays.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

My mother also make nice mi ku, I must find one day learn from her.. This year I prepare rice kueh and pau instead ^_^

PH said...

Kimmy, I like mi koo when it is nice and fresh. I like to put butter and wah! so shiok!

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, Mi Koo keeps well for a long time in the freezer. Most important is to steam it well before serving.

kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, I didn't make paus cos' my MIL bought a lot of vegetarian char siew paus.