Was browsing through some jam/preserves recipes, particularly the methods. This method seems to be an easy way to make nice jam and I hope the sweetness is acceptable to all.
[makes about 2 bottles x 400 gm]
500-550 gm red plums - washed and seed removed, cut into small pieces
300-350 gm sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place a saucer in the freezer [for testing if jam is ready].
- Mix sugar with cut fruits until sugar melts.
- Place mixture in a heavy base pot or non-stick pan. Add in lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until jam gels up [stir the jam occasionally throughout the cooking]. This takes about 30 minutes.
- Spoon a little of jam onto cooled saucer. Return to freezer for about 3-5 minutes. If the jam wrinkles up when push with a finger, the jam is ready.
- Store jam in sterilised glass container. Refrigerate jam.