My mum's last batch of mandarin oranges left after the CNY turning tasteless and dried. I managed to salvage several fruits to obtain enough of its' juice and flesh to bake this cake. Cake turns out buttery, soft and moist.
[use 4" x 8" loaf pan]
200 gm butter
130-150 gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
80 ml mandarin orange juice
flesh of 1 mandarin orange - cut small pieces
200 gm cake flour sifted together with 2 tsp baking powder
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in one egg at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Fold in sifted flour in 3 batches alternating with orange juice.
- Fold with spatula until well combined.
- Pour half batter into a lined [base only] and greased loaf pan [greased and sprinkle some flour all over the sides of pan]. Spread half of the orange flesh over batter, then pour in balance batter.
- Spread again orange flesh all over batter.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 40-45 minutes or test with skewer. Its ready when the skewer comes out clean.