Followers

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

KIWI YOGHURT COTTONY CAKE [OGURA CAKE]

Was browsing through some food blogs about cottony cake sometime ago.  By chance I came across a cake called Ogura Cake.  After going through the recipe, I realised that it is the same as the cottony cake recipe.  If I'm not wrong, there are at least 3 names for the similar cake.  That is,  Xiang Si cake, Ogura cake and maybe Souffle cake.   Before knowing these names, I called the cake as Cottony Cake so as not to confuse myself.
So this cake can be named as Kiwi Yoghurt Ogura Cake, Kiwi Yoghurt Xiang Si Cake, Kiwi Yoghurt Souffle Cake and Kiwi Yoghurt Cottony Cake.  Whichever the name is, this type of cake is cottony soft, low in sugar, fats and gluten and there are so many flavours you can try.
A little drop of apple green colouring and a teaspoon on poppy seeds were added to make the cake more appealing even though it is already a nice cake.  These can be omitted.
Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture
65 gm superfine flour - sifted
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
45 ml corn oil [3 tbsp]
80 ml kiwi yoghurt 
1 tsp lemon juice
  1. Place the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and make well in the centre.  Add in eggs, corn oil, lemon juice and yoghurt.  Using a paddle hook, beat ingredients until creamy and well combined.  Set aside.  
  2. Pour 1 and 1/2 cups water into baking tray, place baking rack over tray.  Preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
5 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
65 gm castor sugar
  1. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white until frothy, add in cream of tartar until  slightly foamy.  Add in sugar in 3 batches.  Whisk until soft to stiff peaks formed.
  2. Using a spatula, fold in 1/2 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture.  Lift and fold until well combined, then add to rest of meringue.  Fold again until well mix.
  3. Pour into a 8" square tin [lined base with baking paper at the bottom only]. Smooth the surface with a spatula and steam bake in oven at 160 degrees C for 70 minutes.  For the water bath, use 1 1/2 cups water for the duration of baking.  This way the cake base will be dry after baking.
  4. Invert the cake after baking  and let it cool slightly [about 10-15 minutes] before removing the pan and baking paper.   
  5. Cool cake before slicing to serve or refrigerate for serving later.

Notes:
- can be served chilled 
- must finish within 2-3 days if kept in room temperature
- keeps well in an airtight container when refrigerated for more than a week

26 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I am in love with your cottony cakes! I must really thank you for introducing this cake. I put up the Mango Yogurt Cottony Cake post today. I did some adjustments because my oven is too hot. I must try this kiwi variation too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you can try lowering the temperature to 150C. Just the yoghurt versions you would have a wide range to try. Happy Baking.

Amelia said...

Hi Kimmy, love your cottony soft cake. It sure look delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Have a nice day ahead.

Sokehah cheah said...

I can indulge in this cake of yours, Kimmy. Must try.

Kimmy said...

Hi Amelia, you're welcome. Give it a try and you'll love it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheah, so far most of the people that I have shared this cake with loved it. My cousin commented that it is so smooth and soft. If you can be bake a chiffon cake, this is not difficult at all.

Edina said...

interesting way of using kiwi.. looks yummy! :)

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

H Kimmy, i have seen so many of these cottony cakes and they all look so good! Enjoyed eating them too, but too scared to try making them...scared of failing :p really must muster up the courage to try.

Alice said...

this is a cake i havent got the chance to try
i always love cottony cakes
yours look perfect, Kimmy! :)

kimmy said...

Hi Edina, I used yoghurt with kiwi for this cake. The cake maybe dense and wet if I use fresh kiwi flesh.

kimmy said...

Hi Esther, do try it if you have baked chiffon cakes before. The method and ingredients are quite similar. I like this kind of cake which do not require butter.

kimmy said...

Hi Alice, give it a try and you may be very happy with the result like follower blogger, Phong Hong. Most important is the steam-bake and cooling procedures to ensure the cake base and sides are dry.

Veronica said...

Kimmy, did you sit your cake pan into another pan filled with hot water? By the way, loved your cottony cakes. Beautiful texture.

http://mintyskitchen.blogspot.com.au/ said...

Kimmy, I noticed that you didn't sit your cake pan into another pan filled with hot water. Did you just placed the pan of hot water on the oven floor? By the way, loved the texture of your cottony cake. Just awesome!

kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, I'm always very happy and satisfied when the cake base is dry. Glad my discovery about the water bath works well. Simple, easy yet the result is good. Happy trying.

Delphine said...

Hi Kimmy,
Just would like to check with you, when we bake the cake by water bath, does it mean that when we preheat the oven, we put in the tray of water & let is heated up first or we only put in the tray of water at the same time when we bake the cake. TQ.

Kimmy said...

Hi Dephine, I pour the water into the baking tray when I preheat the oven. Remember to use only 1 1/2 cups water which should dry up when the cake is ready. This way the cake base will be dry and nice.

Delphine said...

Hi Kimmy,
Thanks for the reply, infact yesterday I tried on this cake also put in the plate of water when I preheat the oven & the cake was put on top like Phong Hong style but the water did not dry up & it takes longer to bake whereas when I put the water into the over tray which is wider it dries up after baking, overall the cake is soft & nice only the side abit wet maybe it could have been the moisture but I remove it from the pan after about 6 to 7 minutes, kindly advise. TQ.

kimmy said...

Hi Delphine, try to dislodge the cake after you invert the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes. Also remove the base lining and let the cake cool further. You can also chill the cake before slicing. I baked another cottony cake recently using the same procedures, the base and sides were dry and nice.

Delphine said...

Hi Kimmy,
Thank you so much for your kind advise, I will try again or maybe I dislodge the cake abit early less than 10 minutes, or maybe I greased the side of the pan with a little bit of oil cos I noticed from your recipe that I only need to line the base and not to grease the side of the pan. TQ. I will try to bake your Baked Cheddar Cheese Chocolate Cheesecake.

Kimmy said...

Hi Delphine, glad my pointers are of help. Try the Orange Poppy Seed Cottony cake. It's nice.

Delphine said...

Hi Kimmy,
Thank you somuch for your kind advise, last night I tried your Baked Cheddar Cheese Chocolate Cheesecake, it rose nicely in the over & I baked it at 150C for an hour, it was soft but abit dry, could be over baked or my oven abit hot(Zanussi)& the water was not fully dried up, I left it in the oven for more than 1/2 an hour & was worried that the base could be wet due to vapour, so I removed it from the pan and invert it onto the rack,the side shrinks quite abit, could be my removable non-stick pan (with fasterner by the side) Can I bake this cake using normal cake pan or chiffon pan, if for chiffon pan then I cannot line the base of the pan it is. Infact I have tried your Strawberry Yoghurt Cottony Cake it was soft, light & most. From your photo of your Orange Poppy Seed Cottony Cake, might was also something like that in the oven, I will try this cake. Once again, thank you so much for your kind advise.

Kimmy said...

Hi Delphine,keep trying and you should get it right. It's quite difficult to find the actual cause since different ovens may perform slightly different. Normal pan should be ok but I'm not sure about tube pan. Happy trying...

Goody Egg said...

Hi, I notice your pan is non stick type, so it can be used for chiffon type ( like xiangsi) ?

kimmy said...

Hi Goody Egg, yes it's non stick but advisable to line the base with parchment paper. Good for baking Ogura/Xiang Si/Souffle cakes. I used it to bake all my cottony and souffle cakes. Hand-made loose base steel pans are also good to bake this cake.

Goody Egg said...

What a fast reply! I got confused initially because I read about how chiffon cake needs something to climb on, so can't use non-stick. Ha ha, I guess you break the law successfully! Now I can dig out my old non-siick for chiffon use, no need to buy new one , thanks kimmy