This should be a healthy cake compared to butter cakes cos' it's low in sugar, fats and flour. The texture is cottony soft and a little tangy taste cos' of the mango and lemon juice. A light and nice cake which I believe is not a burden to the body with a few extra slices.
Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture
65 gm superfine flour - sifted
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
45 ml corn oil [3 tbsp]
80 ml mango yoghurt
1 tsp lemon juice
- Place the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and make well in the centre. Add in eggs, corn oil, lemon juice and yoghurt. Using a paddle hook, beat ingredients until creamy and well combined. Set aside. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
5 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
65 gm castor sugar
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white until frothy, add in cream of tartar until slightly foamy. Add in sugar in 3 batches. Whisk until soft to stiff peaks formed.
- Using a spatula, fold in 1/2 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture. Lift and fold until well combined, then add to rest of meringue. Fold again until well mix.
- Pour into a 8" square tin [lined base with baking paper at the bottom only]. Smooth the surface with a spatula and steam bake in oven at 160 degrees C for 70 minutes.
- Invert the cake after baking and let it cool before removing the baking paper.
- Cool cake before slicing to serve.
- cake is quite close to 'Xiang Si' and Souffle cake [honestly not sure what's the difference between these cakes, so I better call it cottony cake, not to confuse myself]
- can be served chilled
- keeps well in an airtight container refrigerated.