I prepared this dish at the right time. This soupy dish is nutritious and good during the cold weather. It has been running often during the first week of September and this wine flavoured dish with some herbs, in a way helps to keep our body warm. No wonder, I could sleep well through the night after having it for dinner.
The chicken meat is tasty and the soup is thick. It not only has the aroma of the wine but also has the strong taste of it. The combination of all the ingredients make it so good. It is awesome. You can serve this with rice or just add some glass noodles/mee suah or vegetables to enjoy as a One Dish Meal. I really wouldn't mind having just this again with some noodles and vegetables.
Recipe adapted from Chinese TV Cook Show with modifications.
2 chicken whole leg - deboned with skin, cut bite size pieces
3 dried mushrooms - soaked and cut halve
some fresh mushrooms of your choice
10 slices of ginger
2 slices Dong Quai
6 red dates
1 tbsp goji [wolfberries]
200 ml water
200 ml water
2 tbsp Shaoxing wine + 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
2 tbsp light soy sauce
dash of msg or 1/4 tsp sugar
- Heat wok with 1 tbsp oil, saute ginger slices until brown.
- Add in chicken pieces and leave to fry until brown on the skin side, add in mushrooms. Fry until aromatic.
- Add in herbs, red dates and seasoning. Stir well to mix before adding water.
- Bring to a rolling boil for several minutes, then add in goji.
- Braise until water is reduced and slightly concentrated.
- Taste to adjust seasoning. Lastly add in extra 2 tablespoons of wine.
- Dish up to serve in a soup bowl or claypot.