Followers

Friday, January 29, 2016

THE PROSPERITY KUIH [BROWN SUGAR HUAT KUIH]

I was so happy when I removed the cover of the steamer after 20 minutes of steaming the cake.  Why so happy?  Oh,  definitely it is because I had 9 pieces of ‘smiling’ huat kuih in front of me.  All 9 turned out well, the cracks were lovely and nice colour too.
These huat kuihs are moist and the sweetness is acceptable to me.  Great for giveaways too as it is a symbol of  ‘GOOD LUCK’ and ‘HUAT AH!’  hehehe!.   Moreover,  the ingredients required are just a few  and the preparation is quick and easy, about 15 minutes.  I used the brown sugar bought at Tesco store.  It gives a more intense colour than the packet brown sugar.
Do try making these if you wish to have some ‘Huat Kuihs’ as offering items for prayers.  Sure much more economical to make some instead of buying from the stalls.
The original recipe is half of this portion below.
Ingredients
[makes 9 pieces in cupcake liners]
260 gm self raising flour – sifted
70 gm brown sugar
70 gm white sugar
50 ml coconut cream [I dissolved 3 tbsp coconut milk powder with 50 ml water]
200 ml hot water
  1. Prepare a steamer with water boiling.
  2. Dissolve both sugars in hot water.
  3. Sieve flour into a big mixing bowl.  Mix in the coconut cream, then strain in the syrup gradually.  Stirring slowly into a gluey batter.
  4. Line a baking tray with paper cases.  Fill in the batter to the rim.  Steam over medium high heat for 20 minutes.
This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate: Chinese New Year 2016 hosted by Yen from GoodyFoodies, Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

 

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, your Huat Kuih are all giving such big smiles. Luck is on the way to you for sure!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, Hohoho! At times, I felt really blessed when I saw many around me aren't that good. I hope others will be good soon. Maybe they should have more Huat Kuihs, hehehe!

Chloe said...

Hi Kimmy. Ooh this looks so good. Will certainly try to do this for cny. How's the sweetness compared to the other Huat kuih. I like the brown sugar ingredient. By the way I did your nyonya chap chye. Tasted delicious. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipies. Have a blessed cny. Chloe

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, the sweetness is acceptable cos' it is brown sugar. If you can get the brown sugar from Tesco outlets, the brown colour will be this nice. You too have a good, happy and healthy CNY with your family with all the home cooked CNY goodies.