Sea cucumber on its own is tasteless. The best way is to cook it by braising with sauce and some other ingredients for it to soak up the flavours.
This dish is the most common way that we used to cook sea cucumbers at home. Braising it with nam yee [fermented beancurd] makes it tasty and aromatic. As this is a family recipe, most ingredients are just estimates. To cook this dish, you need only to stir fry the ingredients until aromatic, add water and braise until the sauce is reduced. Taste to adjust the seasoning.
sea cucumbers - washed and slice slantwise about 1.5 cm thick
some roasted pork [pork belly part] - cut bite size pieces
1/2 red carrot - peeled and sliced
1-2 stalks Chinese leeks - washed and cut slantwise
2-3 dried mushrooms - soaked and cut thick pieces or halved
a few slices ginger
1-2 cloves garlic - sliced
1 piece fermented red bean curd [nam yee]
salt, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, wine and sugar to taste
cooking oil and sesame oil
enough water to cover ingredients
- Heat oil in wok, saute ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add in the nam yee, stir to mix well.
- Add in roasted pork, mushrooms and carrots. Stir to mix well. Add in seasoning and water.
- Bring to boil, taste to adjust seasoning. Add in sea cucumber, continue to cook until gravy is slightly reduced.
- Stir in the leeks to cook.
- Dish up to serve with rice.