Followers

Thursday, March 2, 2017

TEOCHEW TRADITIONAL SNACK KWANG CHEANG

These are pan-fried
Sometime during the Chinese New Year, a blogger friend was asking about this snack when he visited my earlier post. Recently, while browsing through this magazine, I chance upon this recipe which is slightly different from my recipe.
I gave this Kwang Chian recipe a go and it turned out well too.  The texture is soft, with lots of peanuts and it isn’t salty as I thought.   Since these rolls can be prepared and refrigerated until required, I made a double the portion of the original recipe and managed to make 8 rolls. 
I had deep fried and pan fried them.  Both ways, they are delicious and rather addictive eaten on its own or with a good chilli sauce.
The differences between my first recipe and this one are with the seasoning , flours used and method.  The first recipe can be for vegetarians while this one is not as it has  fish sauce and chicken stock granules in it.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 95 with modifications
Ingredients [Doubled Portion of Original Recipe]
[makes 8 Rolls]
800 gm yam bean [sengkuang] – peeled and shredded
300 gm yam – peeled and shredded
200 gm red carrot – peeled and shredded
200 gm peanuts – washed and boiled till soft – chopped coarsely
200 - 250 gm rice flour
2 tbsp each of plain flour and cornflour
1-2 pieces foo peh [dried beancurd sheet]  - cut into 8 pieces
Seasoning
4 tbsp of fish sauce or more to taste
2 tbsp chicken stock granules [I used 1 tsp msg]
2 tsp pepper
  1. Filling – mix vegetables and peanuts in a large mixing bowl together with seasoning.  Add in the flours, mix well.  Divide into 8 equal portion.
  2. Put a portion onto a piece of beancurd sheet, roll up tightly and neatly into baton.  Seal the edges with some flour paste.  Place on an oiled steaming tray.  Finish doing the remaining.
  3. Steam rolls over high heat for about 40 minutes or until cooked and firm.  Remove to cool on a wire rack before storing or slicing.
  4. To serve, pan fry or deep fry kwang chian pieces until golden brown.  Serve immediately with chilli sauce.
Cookbook Countdown

This post is linked to Cookbook Countdown Event #15   hosted by  Joyce and Emily of Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Forays

6 comments:

Emily said...

Oh yumms! I remember seeing the bean curd wrappers at the market last week... might just be tempted to try this!

PH said...

Kimmy, I will sure enjoy this kwang chian. If fact I love almost anything that is chian LOL!

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, I have 2 recipes for this snack in my blog. Do try and would appreciate if you could let me which one you prefer.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, most people like me can't resist fried food. I can skip breakfast or lunch just for this. Yum Yum and rather addictive.

kitchen flavours said...

I have never tried a vegetarian version with peanuts before. Looks yummy!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, both the vegetarian or non-vegetarian versions have peanuts in it. The difference is only on the seasoning. This one is with fish sauce which is a non-vegetarian ingredient for vegan.