I love buns, baos, kuihs with coconut filling. They are fragrant and tasty. For this bread rolls, the grated coconut is sweetened with palm sugar [gula Melaka] and condensed milk. Looks good and tastes good too.
These simple bun dough is easy to handle as the dough is soft, smooth and pliable. The baked buns are soft and moist but not so after a day. Anyway, not to worry, it wouldn't go to waste as these are still good when reheated in the oven or steamed.
Ingredients For Coconut Filling
250 gm grated white coconut
100 gm palm sugar [gula Melaka]
2 tbsp condensed milk
- Combine sugar and grated coconut in a non stick pan, stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add in condensed milk and stir continuously to mix well and cook until the paste is almost dry but moist.
- Off heat and cool before use.
Ingredients For Bun Dough
250 gm wholemeal bread flour
50 gm plain flour
1 ½ tsp instant yeast
50 gm castor sugar
120 ml water
20 gm butter
- Combine all the ingredients [except butter] in a mixing bowl. Knead until the dough is soft and add in butter. Continue to knead dough till smooth and pliable.
- Shape into round, cover to rest for 20 minutes of double in size. Punch down and roll into a ball.
- Dust board with some flour, roll dough into a rectangle. Spread coconut filling evenly all over the dough.
- Roll dough into a log and seal the edges well like a Swiss Roll.
- Cut roll into 1 inch width, make a slight in the centre and open up to make an inverted roll.
- Place on a line baking tray. Leave to proof for 30 minutes or double in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 12-15 minutes or golden brown.