There are numerous easy Chinese recipes in my collection waiting to try. This provides ample options for me to select and my priority to choose those really easy ones, best are those with the least ingredients or ingredients that are easily available. Such recipes do help make cooking for the family a much easier task and all gets to enjoy a variety of good food.
This recipe is one of the many which I find really simple and easy with only a few steps. You can braise the baby ribs in a wok [which needs watching over the stove], using a slow cooker, steamer and even a thermal cooker. Whichever way you choose, the only thing you have to note is the volume of water to add. If using a wok, more water is needed than the others to cook the ribs till soft and tender.
For this dish, the ribs have to be braised till tender and the sauce is thick. This is an aromatic, tasty, spicy, sweet and sourish dish, awesome to serve with rice. Best of all, it can be pre-cooked before meal time and just needed to reheat before serving.
500 gm baby ribs [ the part with soft white bones] – cut small pieces
1 yellow onion – chopped
1 tbsp each of chopped ginger and garlic
Some coriander leaves
3 tbsp each of chilli sauce and plum sauce
1 tbsp each of wine and light soy sauce
¼ tsp salt
Enough water to cover ingredients
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick wok, sauté chopped garlic, ginger and onions until aromatic.
- Add in baby ribs and sweet chilli sauce. Stir fry ingredients for awhile before adding the remaining seasoning. Mix well.
- Add in water, bring to boil for 5 minutes, then lower heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until ribs are tender and sauce reduced.
- If ribs are not tender when the sauce has thickened, add a little more water, uncover and continue to braise until ribs are soft and sauce reduced.
- Dish up and garnish with coriander leaves.