Followers

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Authentic Kelantanese Belacan Rice

This belacan rice was taught to me by my neighbour who learns it from a Kelantanese friend.  The preparation is like kerabu rice [nasi ulam] but some of the ingredients are fried.  However, the must have ingredients are roasted fragrant belacan, sambal belacan, daun kesum and garlic oil and crisps. 
Eventhough the ingredients are many, it is not that difficult to prepare as it can be done earlier.  You just need to mix all the ingredients together and serve it with kerabu mango [recipe here].  Here, I'm not giving the quantity needed of each ingredient because it depends on own preference when mix rice to serve.
Ingredients
Cooked Basmathi rice [I used extra long basmathi rice] - it's alright to use any rice that is light and fluffy
prawn paste [belacan] - fry in wok until dry and fragrant like belacan granules
garlic crisps with oil
wild ginger flower [bunga kantan] - chopped finely
daun kesum - chopped finely
dried prawns - chopped and fry until dry with or without oil
sambal belacan - home made or store bought
 
 
 
  1. Place a bowl of hot rice on serving plate.  Top up with some toasted belacan granules, garlic oil and crisps, dried prawns, wild ginger flower, daun kesum and sambal belacan.
  2. Mix all ingredient together and serve with kerabu mango [mango salad].
Kerabu Mango 
Ingredients
1 semi ripe green mango - skinned and cut into thin strips
1 carrot - shredded
5-6 shallots - sliced
calamansi lime juice 
salt and sugar to taste
  1. Put shredded mango, carrot and shallots in a big bowl.
  2. Mix sugar, salt and lime juice together.
  3. Toss lime mixture to shredded ingredients.
  4. Refrigerate until required.
I'm submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest April 2013 

 

6 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, next time you make this, call me ok? Hee.hee...I can imagine how delicious this belacan rice is. Really make me lau nuar already!

gertrude said...

Thank you Kimmy for your support. Yes it does look very much like Nasi Kerabu. Thanks for sharing.

kimmy said...

Hello PH, it is nice and a secret recipe from a Kelantanese. Was surprised my family likes it. Ahkunamatata [no problem], I'll 'tar pau' for you.

kimmy said...

Hi Gertrude, you're welcome. Finally I have joined MFF with this post cos' I wasn't sure which of the dishes that I cooked belong to the various states.

Alice said...

oh dear this looks so appetizing, too bad I dunno where to find the leaves used :(
can I just come over to your place? LOL

kimmy said...

Hi Alice, no problem, will give you a tinkle when I prepare this again. You may be able to get these leaves from the vegetable seller at the wet market.