This is the first figurine mooncake recipe that I used when I first started baking mooncakes decades ago. It is a workable recipe that produces nice and tasty Gong Cai Paeng [Doll Mooncakes]. Over the years, I have stopped using this recipe because I like trying out new recipes.
This year, I am back to using this recipe for my this year's Doll Mooncakes. It is an easy, simple recipe that any novice baker can try. If you are happy with the result, then stick to this recipe.
Can say is a sure can recipe as my friends have also been using this recipe.
[makes 40 pieces peach design mould]
450 ml golden syrup
170 ml peanut oil
1 tbsp alkaline water
600 gm mooncake flour [can used low protein flour]
4 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
Egg Glaze - Mixed 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water [I omit]
- Combine golden syrup, peanut oil and alkaline water in a mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spatula until well blended [can mix and leave it to rest for several hours before mixing it with flour].
- Combine toasted sesame seeds with sifted flour, then fold in 2/3 of it into syrup mixture using the cutting method lightly. Add in the remaining and fold until no sign of white flour. Cover and leave to rest for 3 hours.
- Divide into small portion sufficient to fill the size of the mould used.
- Roughly shape each portion into rounds and press onto mould. Knock out dough and place on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160-180 degrees C for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Do check your oven while biscuits are baking in the oven. Oven heat differs with different ovens. Remove to cool on wire rack. NOTE: If applying egg glaze, remove to cool for 10 minutes after baking for 10 minutes. Brush egg glaze once lightly before returning to oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until nicely golden brown].
- Remove to cool and leave mooncakes to air in a tray for several days before storing or serving. Store in mooncake containers.
I have used the same dough to bake some mooncakes with other designs [I used jelly moulds].