There is nothing to shout about this dish that looks bland. I agreed if just by looks but when considering that you have limited food ingredients in hand, it is worthwhile to try out this dish. Furthermore, just to share a note, this dish tastes good after resting with some thick gravy. Even more delicious if you increase the seasoning but for home consumption, it may not be necessary.
Simple, easy to cook meatless dish with only 2 main ingredients.
10-12 pieces tofu puffs - soaked in hot water, drained and cut diagonally
150-200 gm white carrot - peeled, cut 1/2 cm thick slices
a few slices of ginger [more if you like braised ginger]
some chopped spring onions for garnishing
2-3 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce [mushroom]
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar to taste [optional depending on the sauces used]
a few drops of dark soy sauce for colour
1/4 tsp pepper
- Soak tofu puff in hot water for 5 minutes, drained in colander to cool then lightly squeezed to release excess water. Cut halve or diagonally.
- Fry ginger slices in oil until aromatic, then add in tofu puffs. Continue to fry for 1-2 minutes. Then add in sliced carrots. Stir fry to combine all ingredients.
- Add in seasoning and enough water to cover the ingredients. Bring to boil, then lower heat to braise. Cover with lid to cook until carrots are tender and water reduced to thick consistency.
- Tastes to adjust seasoning. Add spring onions now or use as garnishing.
- Dish up, garnish with chopped spring onions.