Another meatless dish adapted from recipes on you-tube and recreated according to own tastes and preference. This dish tastes better after resting when the flavours are well absorbed. Easy dish to prepare. Goes well with rice or porridge. You can cooked in small quantity or bigger portion depending on your needs. It tastes savoury, sweet and sourish. An appetising dish.
1 large potato - peeled and cut into 1 cm thick slices or wedges
1 small white carrot - peeled and cut wedges
a number of thick slices of ginger - lightly smashed [more if you love ginger]
some toasted sesame seeds
light soy sauce to taste
brown sugar to taste
vinegar to taste
water enough to cover and braise ingredients
- Prepare the ingredients as abovementioned.
- Heat oil in a non stick wok, pan fry potatoes until lightly brown or charred.
- Push aside, add in ginger slices and carrots to fry until lightly brown or charred.
- Push all ingredients aside. Add in some brown sugar, let is melt to caramelise a little. Then add in light soy sauce, give it a good stir to coat the fried ingredients well before adding enough water to braise ingredients until tender. Add in vinegar. Taste to adjust seasoning. Taste should be savoury, sweet and sourish. Add some dark soy sauce if you like a darker colour for this dish.
- Braise until gravy is thick. Dish up, garnish with toasted sesame seeds.