Chinese style cooking, simple and easy with only a handful of basic ingredients and seasoning, yet the food tastes good.
This is another of such dishes with only 2 main ingredients [fragrant yam and chicken]. The cooking method is also made simple from deep frying to pan frying. If you are cooking a bigger portion, you can choose deep frying but for home cooking, I still prefers pan frying as I need not use too much oil. Moreover, I kept the skin intact, no oil is need when you fry them in a non stick pan.
I love the fragrance of the ginger, spring onions which goes well the seasoning of this dish. The fried yam pieces and chicken are both tasty in the thick sauce.
1 large deboned chicken whole leg [with skin, fats removed] - cut bite size pieces
150-200 gm yam - cut thick strips or cubed
1 stalk spring onions
4-5 slices of ginger
Marinade - some light soy sauce, wine, dash of pepper and cornstarch
1 tbsp each of light soy sauce, oyster sauce, cooking wine and dash of pepper
- Heat oil in a non stick pan, pan fry yam pieces over medium heat until brown. Dish up.
- Using the same pan, pan fry the chicken pieces, skin side down until golden brown, flip over to fry the meat side until lightly crispy. Dish up.
- Remove excess oil, using the same pan, saute ginger and spring onions until aromatic. Add in the fried ingredients, pour in the seasoning.
- Stir to mix all ingredients well before adding enough water to cover ingredients.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes until yam and chicken pieces are tender and sauce reduced.
- Dish up to serve. Garnish with coriander leaves.