For this season of vegetarian diet, I tried this vegetarian sambal tumis recipe. It is very easy to prepare and it turned out to be good and useful. You can serve it with rice, noodles and even use it to fry leafy vegetables like water convolvulus [kangkong aka water spinach], sweet potato leaves, spinach, brinjals, French beans etc.
I tried with kangkong first and then brinjals. My hubby likes it with a thumbs up. Thanks to Veronica Minty's Kitchen for sharing this lovely recipe.
Ingredients [blend together]
250 gm fresh red chillies - cut into pieces
7 gm turmeric [I omit]
30 gm galangal - sliced
30 gm lemongrass - sliced
1 stalk bunga kantan [torch ginger] - sliced
1 cup water
Seasoning [to taste]
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp mushroom seasoning
1 tbsp lime juice
- Blend ingredients to be blended in a blender with water until fine.
- Fry blended ingredients in a heated frying pan, cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in cooking oil and sugar. Cook until sambal starts to turn a deeper red.
- Add in the remaining seasoning. Cook for another 15 minutes until oil separates from the chilli.
- Cool before storing in dry glass container. Keep it refrigerated.
- Serve with noodles or rice or use it to fry vegetables.