A slight variation to the basic cinnamon rolls. Cooked apples and raisins as filling. As I didn't want the rolls to be too sweet, I omit the orange glaze [mixture of icing sugar and fresh orange juice].
Verdict - nice flavour and soft, fluffy bread rolls. The apple filling is savoury, sweet and rolls are aromatic with cinnamon flavour. Lovely with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 89 with slight modifications
Apple Sauce Filling
3 green apples - peeled, cored and diced
50 gm brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cornstarch mix with 1 tbsp water
50 gm raisins - washed
- In a saucepan, cook apples with brown sugar until sugar dissolves and apples are soft. Add in cinnamon powder and butter, Stir to combine well.
- Add in thickening, stir to combine. Remove and add in raisins.
- Cool before using.
250 gm bread flour
50 gm plain flour
10 gm milk powder
30 gm castor sugar
1/2 an egg [keep 1/2 for glazing]
1 1/2 tsp yeast
140 ml cold water
30 gm butter
- Knead all ingredients [except butter] into a soft dough. Add in butter and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Shape into a ball and cover to rest for 30 minutes or double in size.
- Punch down dough and roll out into a 15"x10" rectangle.
- Spread melted butter evenly over the dough, sprinkle apple cinnamon powder filling on top of the buttered area.
- Roll up the dough into a log. Cut the log into 1 inch thick slices.
- Invert and place them in a baking ti, leaving some space in between [I place each piece on a lined tart mould].
- Proof until double in size [about 40 minutes] and glaze with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C [middle rack] for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pip orange glaze on top [if using].