A simple chicken salad with Szechuan chilli oil. Spicy peppery aroma and taste. The natural sweetness of the chicken meat and crunchy shredded zuchini dressed with this spicy oil is rather yummy appetiser.
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 67
Ingredients and Method for Szechuan Chilli Oil
100 ml oil
15 dried red chillies - cut into small pieces
1.5 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns - rinsed and drained in a colander
- Soaked dried chillies in water for 5-10 minutes and drained.
- Heat oil in a pan, add dried chillies and fry over very low heat until chillies become slightly tough.
- Add in the peppercorns and cook until aromatic.
- Remove from heat, cool and strain into a glass jar.
Notes: you can increased the portion if you are using it for big portions of recipes like Chicken Salad [recipe below] or Spicy Noodles with Minced Meat.
Ingredients for Chicken Salad with Szechuan Chilli Oil
250 gm chicken breast
500 ml water
1 tsp salt
1 zuchini - shredded thinly
1-2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 stalk spring onions - sliced and shredded or chopped
- Put chicken in a saucepan of boiling water and salt. Bring to boil then cover pan, off heat and leave chicken to cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove to cool then tear into shreds.
- Arrange shredded zuchini in a serving platter, put chicken on top, sprinkle sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.
- Drizzle in seasoning. Serve.