One of the best curry which I like and has been cooking this often whenever they is plain yoghurt in the fridge. Surprisingly, I have never shared this recipe here. The curry tasted so good and the aroma fills my kitchen when I reheat it before serving.
Recipe Source - At Home with Amy Beh 2 [slightly modified]
Verdict - easy to cook. Very aromatic, tasty, spicy, savoury and sourish curry chicken. According to Amy Beh, Chicken Vindaloo tastes best if kept for a few hours before serving. This allows the flavours to seep in. Goes well with naan or any Indian bread and plain white rice.
I served this dish with Indian Style Fried Cabbage [recipe tomorrow], my favourite Papadum and plain white rice. Yummy, yummy, yummy.
600 gm boneless chicken thighs - skinned and chopped bite-size pieces
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp grated garlic
1/2 cup plain yoghurt [125 ml]
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 tbsp oil
2 sprig curry leaves
1 big onion - diced
1 tomato - diced
3 tbsp meat curry powder [mix with a little water into a paste]
1 tbsp tomato puree [I used tomato sauce]
125 - 150 ml water [I used slightly more cos' I want my liquid in this dish]
- Season chicken with marinade for several hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a pot or wok, fry onions until soft and fragrant. Add in curry leaves, tomatoes, curry powder paste. Fry until oil separates.
- Add in the marinated chicken and tomato sauce/puree. Stir fry to mix well or until the chicken pieces are firm.
- Add in water. Bring to boil then lower heat to simmer until gravy is thick and chicken is tender and cooked.
- Add seasoning to taste. Garnish with coriander leaves if preferred.