It's been awhile that I haven't really cook any kind of curry. Missed curry chicken and looking for some different kind of curry. Came across this simple curry chicken with YAM. Was wondering how this two ingredients can blend together in a curry? Hmm.. not that bad to me especially when I love yam and I can have this curry with less chicken and more yam, yum-yum.
Verdict - very simple and curry goes well with steaming hot rice, some vegetable salad and hmm...Papadum. I increased the curry powder by 1 tablespoon and added some pepper for more 'kick'.
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 48 [with slight modification]
200 gm yam - cut into pieces
3 chicken thighs - cut into pieces [with or without skin]
1 big onion - chopped
2 stalks lemongrass - crushed
2-3 sprigs curry leaves
3 - 4 tbsp oil [use more if you want a brighter colour curry]
100 ml coconut milk
4 tbsp meat curry powder - add some water into a thick paste
1/2 tbsp chili boh [optional]
1 tsp each of salt and sugar
1 tbsp each of light soy sauce and oyster sauce
800 ml water or enough to cover the ingredients
- Heat up some oil to pan fry or deep fry yam until golden brown. [I pan fried the yam pieces]. Push aside.
- Using the remaining oil [about 3-4 tbsp, saute onions until fragrant, add lemongrass and curry leaves. Stir fry until aromatic.
- Add in the curry powder/chili boh. Fry until aromatic. Add in the chicken. Stir to mix well.
- Add in the seasoning and water. Bring to boil. Then add in the yam pieces. All chicken to cook and yam is tender.
- Lastly pour in the coconut and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Dish up to serve with rice.