This recipe is from Anncoo Journal which I had bookmarked since it was posted in 2012 but never get down to do until now.
[makes 12 muffins]
3 egg yolks
30 gm castor sugar
35 ml fresh orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
70 ml plain yoghurt
80 ml plain flour
10 gm corn flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
3 egg whites
70 gm sugar [I used 50 gm]
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until white. Drizzle in orange juice and natural yoghurt. Continue to beat until well mixed.
- Add in sifted dry ingredients and orange zest. Mix well again and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar until stiff peak formed.
- Fold 1/4 of egg white into egg yolk mixture with a spatula and mix well. Then fold in the remaining egg white in 2 batches.
- Scoop batter into muffin tray lined with paper cases until 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees C for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer when inserted comes out clean.
- Notes - Bang the baking tray together with the small cakes on the counter top 2-3 times once they are cooked, as this will prevent the cakes from shrinking. Leave to cool and store them in an airtight container in room temperature for 2-3 days. I gave several to my mom, she kept in the fridge for about a week, they were still soft and good.