Looks like a complicated dish but not so.
It is easy to prepare with only a few main ingredients and seasoning is just basic with oyster sauce etc. But the end result is awesome. You can serve it as a thin or thick soup just by adjusting the water [between 300 to 400 ml] to be added, depending on your preference.
This soup is tasty and the pearl beans are soft and tender.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 82
200 gm winter melon - scooped into meatball shape
50 gm red carrots - peeled and cut cubes
100 gm pearl beans
1 deboned chicken whole legs - cut cubes
1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
300 - 400 ml water
1/2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
3/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch for thickening
- Heat up wok with oil, saute garlic until fragrant.
- Add in chicken, continue to fry until firm. Add in remaining ingredients, toss well.
- Add in seasoning and pour in water gradually.
- Bring to boil, taste to adjust seasoning.
- Transfer ingredients to a claypot and continue to simmer until beans are tender.
- Thicken soup with cornstarch water. Serve immediately.