This recipe has quite a number of ingredients but no worries. It is not difficult to make if you can find cekur roots [sand ginger] for this dish. The rest is just to assemble them according to the steps and you get to enjoy a very tasty, fragrant chicken dish. It tastes slightly salty to me but you can always adjust a little and fine tune the seasoning to suit your tastes buds. My hubby says the taste is perfect.
My neighbour has a pot of cekur plant and he happily dug up the roots for me to make this dish. I should have cook a bigger portion and share some with him. Next time, next time.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 82 with modifications
3 deboned chicken whole legs with skin - cut into bite size pieces
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp red yeast
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 lemongrass - cut small pieces
50 gm ginger
1.5 cm cekur roots
2 tbsp glutinous rice wine
1/4 tsp salt [original was 1/2 tsp]
3-5 tbsp water
- Marinate chicken pieces with marinade for at least 30 minutes or longer.
- Blend spices in the blender. Set aside.
- Heat up a non stick wok with sesame seed oil, saute spices until aromatic before adding the marinated chicken. Continue to stir fry chicken over low heat for several minutes.
- Continue to stir fry over low heat until chicken pieces are cook d through.
- Add in the seasoning, then continue to braise until meat is tender and sauce is thick.
- Dish up to serve immediately.