This recipe looks difficult with a long list of ingredients but actually it is not. There is only 3 main ingredients, the rest are marinades and seasoning. I have no regrets trying out this recipe. It does not only look refreshing and tempting but also tastes good. I believe, it is suitable for all ages. Moreover, it is a quick cook dish once you assemble the ingredients.
The meatballs and mushrooms are tasty, the winter melon are soft and also absorbs the flavours well. It looks a presentable dish for family dinners or gatherings.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 103 with modifications
200 gm minced meat with some fats
1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper and sesame seed oil
dash of msg or 1/4 tsp sugar [I prefer to use msg]
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
3/4 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tbsp oil
some slices of ginger
2 stalks spring onions - cut sections
6 dried mushrooms - soaked
150 gm winter melon - skinned and cut into chunks
some sliced red carrots
250 ml - 300 ml water
1 tsp each oyster sauce, light soy sauce and shaoxing wine
1/4 tsp salt to taste
dash of msg
- Meatballs - Put all the meatball ingredients into a mixing bowl [except cornstarch], stir in one direction until sticky. Add in the cornstarch and stir again until sticky. Gather up the minced meat paste and hit it against the base of the bowl for 3-4 times to firm up the mixture. Rest mixture while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat up oil in a non stick wok, saute ginger and some spring onions until fragrant and slightly charred.
- Add in mushrooms, carrots and winter melon. Stir to mix well, then pour in the seasoning and water. Bring to boil for 5 minutes.
- Put shaped meatballs to cook, cover and simmer till the meatballs are firm and cooked. Meanwhile, heat up a claypot. Stir in spring onions.
- Pour into claypot, serve hot.