This is a simple curry which is easy to prepare and consider a healthy version of chicken curry. Eryngii mushrooms are added to this curry which does not require coconut milk but tamarind juice.
The addition of kaffir lime leaves give a nice aroma to this sourish taste curry and it is good served with steaming hot rice.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 78 my selected cookbook for this month's Cookbook Countdown #12 with modifications
2 chicken whole legs – deboned and cut bite size pieces
1 packet [250 gm] Eryngii mushrooms [King Oyster Mushrooms] – cut rounds of wedges
1 tbsp each chopped garlic and shallots
2-3 tbsp meat curry powder [use some to marinate chicken pieces]
1 onion – peeled and cut wedges
1 small carrot – peeled and cut wedges
2 tbsp oil
Some kaffir lime leaves
1 heaped tablespoon tamarind paste – mixed with 300 ml water and squeezed out the juice
- Marinate chicken pieces with a pinch of salt and some curry powder for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat up wok, add in oil and sauté garlic and shallots until aromatic. Add in curry paste and onions. Stir fry until fragrant, add in the chicken pieces and carrots. Fry until firm before adding in the mushrooms.
- Stir well to mix and aromatic before adding the tamarind juice.
- Bring to boil, add in seasoning to taste, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until gravy is thick. Lastly add in the kaffir lime leaves before dishing up to serve with rice.