This steamed pumpkin is something similar to Black Bean Spare Ribs in Pumpkin Bowl. The only difference is the filling. For this, I used fried curry pork as filling. The curry is savoury/sourish in taste which blends well with the sweetness of the pumpkin.
1/2 a small pumpkin [about 400 gm] - seeds removed
Ingredients for Curry Pork
150 gm pork - cubed
1 onion - peeled and cubed
50 gm red carrot - cubed
1-2 sprigs curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1-2 tbsp oil
1-2 tbsp meat curry powder
1/4 tsp tumeric powder
1/4 tsp garam masala [optional]
1/2 tsp salt to taste
2 tbsp tamarind juice
- Marinade pork cubes with curry powder, tumeric powder, garam masala and salt for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, sauté mustard seeds and curry leaves until aromatic.
- Add marinated pork cubes and stir fry until firm and fragrant. Add in carrots and onions, then tamarind juice. Stir to mix well, then add water.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or until the water has reduced or thick. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Transfer curry pork mixture into pumpkin bowl.
- Steam over medium heat for 45 minutes or until pumpkin is cooked.
- Remove and serve immediately with rice.