This recipe looks simple where the ingredients are easily available but the cooking time could be a little longer. The spare ribs take time to cook till tender but it is still alright to prepare this dish which basically frying the ingredients, then leave to braise. I think using a slow cooker to cook this dish would be much easier and saves time at the stove.
The meat and sauce are savoury in taste which blends just well with the sweetness of the soft pumpkin. By adding some Basil leaves gives an extra fragrance to this dish.
It can be a very tasty dish if the ribs are braised till the flavours are well absorbed in the ribs. It is so nice with rice and with simple stir fry vegetable makes a complete meal.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 102 with slight modifications
300 gm meaty spare ribs – cut into bite size pieces
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp each chopped shallots and garlic
300 gm pumpkin – peeled and cut into pieces
Some Basil leaves
200 ml water
Marinade and Seasoning
1 tbsp each light soy sauce and oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp dark soy sauce
½ tbsp cornstarch [optional]
- Marinate spare ribs with marinade and seasoning for 30 minutes.
- Heat wok, add in oil, sauté chopped shallots and garlic until aromatic.
- Add in marinated spare ribs. Leave them to brown a little. Add in the marinade and water.
- Bring to boil and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until ribs are almost tender.
- Add in pumpkin and cover to continue cooking until soft,
- Lastly throw in the Basil leave to cook. Dish up to serve.