There are several baked bread buns recipes from my selected cookbook of this month which I have tried before. All the buns turned out well but I cannot remember if I have shared them here.
Anyway, I will be baking the bread buns with various fillings and sharing the recipes here. These pumpkin buns are for my mother in-law. I wasn't able to pull away a bun to show the texture inside cos' it wouldn't look nice. But, I did see that the texture was good [soft, moist and spongy] when I served it to my mother in-law. My hubby confirmed that these buns are good after having one.
I have accidentally deleted some photos of the pumpkin paste filling, but I can say that the filling is very tasty and aromatic. The original recipe is double the portion below.
Recipe adapted from this month's selected cookbook for Cookbook Countdown Event #5 -Yum Yum Magazine No. 48 [modified]Ingredients for Pumpkin Filling
150 gm pumpkin puree
15 gm castor sugar
15 ml thick coconut milk
- Steam pumpkin until soft, mash it into a smooth paste while still hot.
- Place all ingredients in a non-stick wok, stir constantly until paste is smooth and thick and leaves the side of wok clean. Dish up and chill in the fridge until required.
Ingredients for Bread Dough
[makes 9-12 buns in a 8 inch square tin]
250 gm bread flour
2 tsp instant yeast
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp milk powder
1 egg [lightly beaten, set aside some for glazing]
90 ml water
1 tbsp butter
- Put all dough ingredients [except butter] into a mixing bowl of the electric mixer. Knead into a rough dough [5-10 minutes]. You may need a little more water, add if dough is too dry.
- Add in butter and knead until soft, smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball, cover and leave to rest for 20-30 minutes or double in size.
- Punch down, divide dough into 9 or 12 equal portions. Shape into rounds, flatten each round and wrap filling. Gather the edges and seal well. Roll into ball and place it in the lined baking tin. Finish doing the same for the remaining dough.
- Leave to proof for 30-40 minutes or until double in size. Brush buns with egg glaze, sprinkle some toasted black and white sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes or golden brown.
- Remove to cool on wire rack before storing or serve warm.