Fresh fishes are best cooked using steaming method. The only problem is which sauce goes well with the fresh fish. Of course, there are many common ingredients like tau cheong, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, black bean paste, tomato chilli sauce, salty sour wet plums and many more to choose from. Each has its’ own flavour and taste which are always good especially when the fish is fresh.
I am always on the lookout for various steaming sauces to steam fish and this one here is one of them which I tried recently. The steaming sauce is very easy to prepare.
300 gm white fish fillet or blocks
Some shredded red chilli and spring onions
A bunch of glass noodles – soaked and drained [optional]
½ tbsp sesame seed oil and cooking oil
Steaming Sauce Ingredients [combined]
1 tbsp each chopped garlic and ginger
3 pieces white fermented beancurd [foo yee]
1 tbsp each of sugar and wine
- Place glass noodles on steaming plate [if using], then put fish on top.
- Spread sauce ingredients over fish.
- Steam fish over boiling water [high heat] for about 12 minutes [depends on size of fish].
- Remove from steamer, garnish with shredded red chillies and spring onions.
- Meanwhile, heat sesame oil and oil until hot. Drizzle over steamed fish.
- Serve immediately.