An easy porridge to prepare for busy days or leisure weekend with no compromise to taste. A tasty and flavourful porridge with sesame oil and shredded ginger. The original recipe is a vegetarian porridge using vegetarian ham. Here I substituted it with some minced meat.
When I first looked at this recipe, I thought it was too bland and nothing tasty at all, but I was wrong. It's a yummy porridge which I will cook next time with vegetarian or mock meats when I'm on vegetarian diet
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 48 with slight modifications
250 gm rice
2500 ml water
50 gm vegetarian ham [substitute with minced meat for non-vegetarian version]
4 dried mushrooms - soaked and cubed [can use fresh mushrooms]
1 small carrot - peeled and cubed
120 gm Chinese celery - cleaned and chopped
a few slices of ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
some shredded young ginger
1-2 tsp vegetarian mushroom seasoning or 1 cube chicken stock granules [non-vegetarian]
Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean rice and soak in water for 30 minutes and drain [I didn't soak the rice].
- Heat up pot [I used claypot] with sesame oil, saute ginger slices, mushrooms, carrot and meat until fragrant.
- Add water, bring to boil at high heat. Add in rice. Bring to boil again then lower heat to simmer until rice is cooked and smooth or until the consistency preferred.
- Add seasoning to taste and chopped celery. Stir to mix well.
- Dish up, garnish with shredded ginger and serve hot.
I'm linking this post to Cook Your Books Event #10 hosted by
Joyce of Kitchen Flavours