Occasionally I loved to prepare this kind of soup that does not require much ingredients but the end result is a soup that can feed an 'army' - quite filling. This is a meatless soup and should be considered healthy. A quick cook soup if you like the ingredients like black fungus and Szechuan vegetable a little crunchy.
You can add a few dried chillies too for a spicy version.
1 piece soft tofu - cut strips
2 dried mushrooms - soaked and cut thin strips
1 floret black fungus [bok nee] - soaked and cut thin strips
30 gm Szechuan vegetable - rinsed and cut strips
1 small carrot - peeled and cut strips
a few tofu puffs - cut thin strips [optional]
700 ml water
1 tsp vegetarian stock granules [used chicken stock granules for non vegetarian]
1 tsp sesame oil
dash of pepper
some cornstarch mixture for thickening
some black vinegar [chit chor] or Shaoxing wine - optional
some Chinese celery [kin chye] - chopped
- Heat a soup pot with sesame oil, saute mushrooms, black fungus, Szechuan vegetable, carrot and tofu puffs for a several minutes to mix well.
- Pour in water, bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add seasoning to taste. Add in tofu, bring to boil again.
- Thicken with cornstarch mixture to the consistency preferred.
- Dish up to serve with black vinegar [if prefered]. Garnish with chopped celery, serve immediately.