This was supposed to be my first Sri Lankan curry that I wanted to cook earlier but I ended up cooking the curry with fish [Sri Lankan Curry Fish] and chicken [Sri Lankan Curry Chicken]. Both curries were really good - aromatic, spicy, sourish and I like the thick consistency of the gravy.
This time, I cooked the curry with pork meat. My hubby said is good [spicy but light].
[recipe adapted from Curry and Comfort with some modifications]
500 kg lean pork cut into 1 inch cubes [I cut into thick strips - 1 cm]
Marinade for Pork
2 tbsp red chilli powder [I used thick chilli boh]
2 tbsp meat curry powder
1 tsp tumeric powder
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp grated garlic
2 tbsp cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- mix marinade and marinate pork for at least 30 minutes or overnight [forgotten to take picture of the marinated meat].
2 stalks lemongrass - lightly bruised
1 large onion - chopped
4 green small chillies - chopped
4 sprigs curry leaves
1-2 tsp fenugreek
6-7 cardamon pods
1 cinnamon stick
250 ml water or thin coconut milk [enough to cover meat]
125 ml thick coconut milk or milk
1 tsp each of salt and sugar to taste
- Heat oil in pan, fry aromatics until fragrant. Add in marinated meat. Fry for 3-5 minutes until oil separates and aromatic. Add in water.
- Continue to stir fry until water boils, reduce heat to simmer for 25-30 minutes [add more water if the curry is too dry].
- Add in milk or thick coconut milk and seasoning to taste once meat is tender.
- Dish up to serve with rice. This curry is more flavourful and tasted better after resting for some time. Notes: Visit this site for its' Nutritional Facts [here]