This dish was prepared upon request by my hubby. Usually, I wouldn't cook this kind of dish cos' the fat content is very high. The fragrant crispy skin of the yam ring is too 'fatty' to my liking. But once awhile [months-years] it's alright, hehehe!. Anyway, we all enjoyed it very much especially the young girl at home [my niece/god-daughter].
For the accompaniment, I prepared an easy vegetarian stir fry mixed vegetables. You can use any combination of ingredients from assorted mushrooms, carrots, tofu puffs or beancurd to carrots, broccoli, green peas/beans etc. All are as good.
Instead of making just one yam ring, I made 3 smaller yam rings for easier frying, so that I don't have to use too much of oil. The yam rings do not look very fluffy cos' I reduced the vegetable shortening from 3 tablespoons to 2.
original recipe from Yum Yum magazine with some modifications
For Yam Ring:
300 gm yam - peeled and sliced
70 gm tang mien flour [wheat starch]
1 tsp 5 spice powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp vegetable shortening
For Mixed Vegetables:
1/2 tbsp oil
a few slices of ginger
3 dried mushrooms - soaked and quartered
a few fresh abalone mushrooms - cut
10 tofu puffs - halved
1 small carrot - peeled and cut into cubes
1 small broccoli - cut into small florets
some fried cashew nuts - optional
1/4 tsp salt, dash of pepper
1 tbsp each of oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine
100 ml water
1 tbsp cornstarch for thickening
- Yam Ring - steam yam until soft. Mix wheat starch with some hot boiling water, mix into a dough. Combine all other ingredients together. Mix into a soft yam dough. The dough is not sticky. Chilli in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Remove yam dough and shape into a big ring. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. Dish and drain. Place onto a serving platter. [I made 3 smaller ones and a few rectangular pieces]
- For the Mixed Vegetables - heat oil in wok, saute ginger until aromatic. Add in mushrooms, carrot and tofu puffs. Stir fry, add in seasoning and water to cook.
- Lastly add in broccoli to cook. Stir in thickening.
- Dish out and spread over fried yam ring. Garnish with some fried cashew nuts. Serve immediately.
Notes: Alternatively, you can blanched all the ingredients, then do a quick stir fry before serving with yam ring.
Notes: Visit this site for its' Nutritional Facts [here]