I prepared this meal mainly because I was so unhappy after trying a Japanese Teppan Rice several weeks ago at a food court. That meal was not cheap because of the portion [Miss Phong Hong knows my story]. So I came up with this version where I have ginger braised pork fillet over cooked short grain rice [the kind of rice used for to cook sushi rice], lots of sliced zuchini and shredded cabbage with mayo. It's okay to serve it with plain white rice.
The ingredients for this meal [excluding the rice] costs me less than RM 10.00.
450 gm tender pork meat fillet - marinate with some salt and pepper
some tapioca flour for coating
1-2 yellow onion - sliced
1-2 tsp finely grated ginger
3 cabbage leaves - washed, finely shredded and drained
1 big zuchini - zliced
some coriander leaves for garnishing
light soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil to taste
- Tenderise the met fillet then marinate with some salt and pepper for at least 30 minutes. Coat sparingly with some tapioca flour. Leave for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a non stick pan with some oil. Pan fry the meat slices until golden and slightly crispy at the edges. Turn over to pan fry the other side until meat is cooked. This takes about 10-15 minutes only.
- Mix mayo with shredded cabbage. Chill in the fridge until required. Slice zuchini and leave in the fridge until required.
- Remove excess oil from frying pan. Add in sliced yellow onion, seasoning and water. Braised for 10-15 minutes until gravy is reduced. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- To serve, place a bowl of cooked rice in serving dish. Top up with slices of meat with gravy. Garnish with cabbage, zuchini slices and coriander leaves.
- If preferred serve this rice with a bowl of miso seaweed soup.