This is an EZ braised meat recipe worth keeping. The basic recipe is from Amy Beh's website but I did not follow all the procedures especially on the deep frying of the pork pieces. Instead, I make sure the pork skin is well dried and I pan fried them. The result is satisfactory and best of all this dish can be prepared way ahead of meal time or even one day ahead. I kept the whole pot in the refrigerator. Before serving, I removed the fats that have coagulated on the surface [more healthy] then reheat the dish. Viola! Just slice the meat and enjoy with white rice, some vegetables and chilli sauce if preferred.
1 kg pork belly - cleaned and cut into 2 portions
1 tsp dark soy sauce
- Boil enough water in a wok. Place pork bell in boiling water to blanch for about 5 minutes. Remove and rinse well. Use a fork to prick holes on the skin as much as possible. Rub skin with dark soy sauce. Place pork pieces skin side up in a container. Leave it in the refrigerator to dry the skin [can prepare this a day earlier]. Heat a non stick wok with a little oil on medium heat. Place pork belly skin side down in to pan fry until 'blisters' all over. The sear the sides until slighty golden. Remove and soak pork in a basin of iced cold water for about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
8 dried mushrooms - soaked [ I used dried mushroom and 1 packet 'king mushroom] - cut half or keep whole
50 gm ginger - cut into a few thick slices
1 tbsp chopped garlic
4cm piece cinnamon stick
3 star anise
1 tsp cumin seeds
1-2 stalks of spring onion
700 ml water [enough to cover pork pieces]
200 gm broccoli - cut into florets and blanched [optional]
coriander leaves for garnishing
1 tbsp potato starch mix with 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp Shao Hsing Hua Tiau wine
2 tbsp rock sugar
1 tsp chicken stock granules
2 tsp pepper
- Place ginger slices, chopped garlic, spring onions, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, cumin seeds in a based of heavy based pot. Then place pork belly skin side up on top of the spice ingredients.
- Place the mushrooms around the pork belly and add in the sauce ingredients. Pour in water. Bring water to a rolling boil for about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat and braise meat for 45-50 minutes or until just tender. Do not overcook meat, the texture of the meat should have a bite.
- To serve, remove and cut slices. Place on serving plate.
- Strain the gravy to remove the impurities and thicken with potato starch mix. Pour gravy over cut meat and garnish with coriander leaves or blanched broccoli.