This is a simple and healthy 3 dish meal for 2 that costs less than Ringgit 10.00. Not too bad idea of simple dishes if you are looking for some non-spicy food for dinner.
The above picture shows the 3 dishes that goes well with plain white rice:
- Braised Spanish Mackerel with Soy Sauce and Mirin
- Miso Tofu and Seaweed Soup
- Salad leaves, cherry tomato Yoghurt Salad
BRAISED SPANISH MACKEREL WITH SOY SAUCE AND MIRIN
2 pieces Spanish mackerel - clean and pat dry
3-5 spices ginger [more if you love ginger]
1 stalk spring onions - cut slantwise about 1 inch lengths [keep some for garnishing]
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin
dash of pepper
- Pan fry Spanish mackerel with oil in non-stick pan until both sides are golden brown. Push aside.
- Use the remaining oil to saute ginger slices and part of the spring onions until fragrant [maybe slightly brown].
- Add in soy sauce from around the wok followed by mirin and pepper. Bring it to a bubbly boil. Push the fried fish slices back into the sauce to braise until sauce is slightly thickened [1-2 seconds]. Flip over fish slices for 1 time so that it is well coated with sauce. Very quick process.
- Dish out to serve with garnishing [spring onions].
- Serve with rice.
Note: Can also use Salmon slices but reduce the oil quantity.
JAPANESE MISO TOFU SOUP
400 ml water
1 piece soft tofu - cut big cubes
1 small piece seaweed [hai tai] - wash and soak in water for a few minutes - cut wide strips
2 tbsp Japanese Miso paste
- Mix miso paste with some of the water until well mixed. Set aside
- Bring water to boil in a soup pot. Add in miso paste mix and seaweed 'hai tai' and tofu cubes. Let it boil again, then lower heat to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.
SALAD LEAVES, CHERRY TOMATO WITH YOGHURT SALAD
Some salad leaves - washed and break into small pieces
some cherry tomatoes - cut half
1 small tub plain yoghurt [about 135 gm]
1/2 tsp fish sauce
juice of 1 calamasi lime
1 tsp sugar [optional]
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until serving time.