I tried this chiffon cake recipe from Blessed Homemaker sometime in July 2010. That time, I wasn't really into posting recipes in my blog. I kept the recipe because the cake was really good. So here again, I baked this cake since I have some grounded black sesame paste [leftover from my bread making]. This time, I am trying it out with 3 eggs [Small Small Baker's recipe].
The cake has good texture, soft, light and moist.
Ingredients for Egg Mixture
4 egg yolks [large] [3 eggs]
2.5 tbsp castor sugar [2 tbsp]
1/4 tsp salt [same]
1/4 tsp salt [same]
4 tbsp corn oil [2 tbsp]
130 ml milk [70 ml water]
20 gm black sesame seed paste [40 gm black sesame powder]
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together, then continue beating while adding oil, followed by milk. Then fold in the black sesame seed paste until well incorporated. Fold in sifted flour until well combined and set aside while you prepare the egg white mixture.
- Preheat oven at 160 degrees for 10 minutes.
150 gm cake flour + 1 tsp baking powder [or 150 gm self raising flour] - sifted [80 gm + 1 tsp baking powder]
Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
4 egg whites [3 egg whites]
1/2 tsp cream of tartar [1/4 tsp]
4 level tbsp of castor sugar [30 gm sugar]
- Whisk egg white until frothy then add in cream of tartar. Continue whisking and gradually add in sugar. Whisk until foamy and soft peaks formed.
- Fold 1/3 portion of meringue into egg yolk mixture until well combined. Pour into the balance meringue and fold until well mixed.
- Pour mixture into 7" chiffon pan. Tap on table top several times to expel out trapped air.
- Baked in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes on lower rack. Remove and invert pan immediately after baking. Cool and then remove from pan before slicing.
You can even try the quantity in red which uses only 3 eggs [if you happened to have large eggs or only 3 eggs, ha ha]. I got the recipe from Small Small Baker's blog. There were some white spots in the cake. This is because I have whisked the egg white until stiff and egg yolk and meringue not too well incorporated.