Followers

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Steamed Rainbow Sago Kuih

I have bookmarked this kuih recipe from Happy Flour for sometime.  Really easy to prepare, good as dessert or snack for parties and gatherings.  These kuihs are soft yet chewy and tasty.   Moreover, they look attractive in various colours.
I have to change the quantity for the ingredients used because this is the minimal quantity the vendors would sell.  Next round shouldn't be a problem as I'll make more especially if these are for gatherings.
The kuihs together with the mini purple Angku Kuihs [see this post] were prepared for a gathering.   They were so nice that several ladies approached me to ask whether I made them or are they from the stores.
Recipe Source - Happy Flour with some modifications
Ingredients
[makes about 20-22 pieces]
200 gm sago - soak for 15 minutes and drain well
100 gm grated coconut
80 gm sugar
1/3 tsp salt
60 ml coconut milk
food colouring of your choice
150 gm grated fresh coconut
1/2 tsp salt
  1. Mix soaked sago with grated coconut, sugar, salt and coconut milk.  Stir well to combine.
  2. Separate the sago mixture into different portions and add the colourings.  Mix each portion well.
  3. Fill greased moulds [I used teacups] with sago mixture until 3/4 full.  Smooth the surface with the back of a small spoon.
  4. Steam in a preheated steamer at high heat for 15-20 minutes [I used the electric steamer].
  5. Leave to cool before removing kuihs from the moulds.
  6. Mix grated coconut with salt and steam for 10 minutes.  Leave to cool and use it to coat kuihs before serving.
Notes: Visit this site For Its' Nutritional Facts [here]

10 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

such pretty colours in your house.... very nice! i love sago balls...

Kimmy said...

Hi Victoria Bakes, my favourite too. They were so lovely and just looking at them I felt very satisfied and happy to share.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

very colourful and sound good!

Jozelyn Ng said...

I have a big pack of sago at home, would like to try this dessert!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jozelyn, do give it a try. You'll love it cos' it's really nice and so easy to make.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, sounds good cos' it is really easy to make them. Can even refrigerate them before serving. Sounds cool.......

Anonymous said...

wow, what a beautiful kue sagu, beautifully colorfull too!

PH said...

Kimmy, when I saw your colourful kueh, I immediately can imagine the chewy texture of the sago in my mouth! This is so delicious especially coated with the grated coconut.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, because these are for a gathering, I had to share a piece with my hubby so that others can have them. Must make another batch for myself...hehehe!

Kimmy said...

Thanks Dedy for your comment and visit.