Followers

Monday, October 31, 2011

Passing of My Beloved Papa

My Pa was hospitalised for skin treatment a few days before I left for Taiwan.  He was supposed to spend about 2 weeks in hospital. For more than a decade, I was always with him whenever he was in hospital for heart problem and other ailments.  This time, I happened to be away and I believed he wished for his other children to take care of him. He recovered from his skin problem and was about to be discharged but then he was suddenly coughing 2 days before discharge. 

I arrived home late on Sunday 23, October 2011 night because my flight was delayed for 2 and 1/2 hours.  I went to hospital the next morning to take care of him and to show him all the photos I took while in Taiwan [please refer my other blog - Cooking Pleasure - Travel & Food].  I didn't have the chance to show them to him.  He was still alert when I arrived at the hospital and only said to me "I thought I won't be able to see you again, you must come early morning tomorrow to take care of me".  I saw tears flowing down his cheek.  I know this is bad omen.  I changed his pampers and cleaned his body.  Then, he had difficulty in breathing which we thought is asthma.  The nurses attended to him and later the doctors came.  After 20 minutes, the doctor told us my Pa's heart stopped beating and has passed away [due to massive haemoptysis] after they failed to rescue him. 

He passed away very peacefully, eyes closed and mouth smiling like in deep sleep.  He was 82 years old.  My brothers and sisters were at his bedside. I am glad he waited for me and my husband to be back.  I always believed he will do that for me.  While I was away, my siblings and sisters in-law took care of him very well.  He ate the food he loves to eat during his stay in hospital. My Pa should be very happy that all his children cared for him and were at his bedside till his last moment in this world.


My Dearest Papa
Not only myself and my siblings  are glad to have him as our Pa but my Ma is also the luckiest lady to have him as a loving and caring husband for sixty [60] years.  Their marriage is through match making and yet it has lasted 6 decades.  Their marriage is a model marriage to us all as we remembered there has never been a time of misunderstanding all these years.  Even till the time before he left for the hospital, he had asked my nephews to look after my Ma.

My Pa was not only a caring, loving husband and father, he was also a 'commendable' grandfather to all his grandchildren and a great elder to all that are related to him.  One who had cared for all that came to him for help and guidance.  He had brought up his 4 young siblings, 6 children and cared for his mother and wife for more than half a century since the age of 30 when my grandfather passed away at the age of 51.  My Pa was the sole bread winner of the family.  Imagined during his younger days as the eldest child, life was so difficult especially during and after the Japanese Occupation.  He had never ever complained and always forgive other peoples misdeed throughout his life.  He led a very simple life [without smoking, gambling, drinking] and took care of other peoples' needs before his.


I thanked God for giving me a very GOOD father for more than half a century.  A father whom I would like to have for my next life and thereafter.  Long before, I have been using this song as my handphone's ringtone and here I dedicate this song to my dear Pa "DANCE WITH MY FATHER" by Luther Vandross May his soul rest in peace and the sweet memories be with us forever and ever.

Dance With My Father
[Mr Ong Kok Beng @ Ong Khit Thow]

Back when I was a child
Before life removed all the innocence
My Father would lift me high
And dance with my mother and me
And then spin me around till I fell asleep
Then up the stairs he would carry me
And I knew for sure I was loved

If I could get another chance
Another walk, another dance with him
I'd play a song that would never ever end
How I'd love love love
To Dance with my father again

When I and my mother would disagree
To get my way I would run from her to him
He'd make me laugh just to comfort me, yeah yeah
Then finally make me do just what my mama said
Later that night when I was asleep
He left a dollar under my sheet
Never dreamed that he would be gone from me

If I could steal one final glance, one final step
One final dance with him
I'd play a song that would never ever end
Cause I'd love love love to Dance with my father again

Sometimes I'd listen outside her door
And I'd hear how mama would cry for him
I'd pray for her even more than me
I'd pray for her even more than me

I know I'm praying for much too much
But could you send her the only man she loved
I know you don't do it usually, but dear Lord
She's dying to Dance with my father again

Every night I fall asleep, and this is all I ever dream.






No comments: