I was able to get a whole yam [about 800 grams] from the supermart for below RM10.00. This whole yam is enough to cook a few dishes such as Yam Rice, Yam Noodles, Stir Fry Yam with Chicken, Yam and Sago dessert etc. It is long list as yam for these dishes is not a main ingredient. Moreover, cut yam can be stored in the freezer and keeps well for sometime.
- Heat oil in a wok, saute shallots until golden brown and crispy. Remove the crispy shallots into a plate. Set aside.
- Using the same wok, add in mushrooms, dried prawns and lap cheong. Stir fry until aromatic. Add in yam cubes, continue to fry for several minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add in rice and seasoning ingredients.
- Continue to stir fry for several minutes to mix well and the rice is evenly coloured.
- Dish up onto a steaming tray or rice cooker. Add in water and some crispy shallots, stir to mix well.
- Steam rice for 40-50 minutes [halfway, stir to ensure even cooking] or cook rice in the rice cooker as usual.
- Off heat, leave for 5 -10 minutes before fluffing up to serve.
- Garnish with spring onions and crispy shallots.