This is a Chinese grandmother style home-cooked fried yellow noodles. Not my grandma or mum. My family style fried yellow noodles is without tomatoes or mushrooms. We used prawns, meat slices and a must have ingredient is crispy fried shallots popularly known for this noodle 'Hokkien Char'. It is awesome.
This means that we can fry yellow noodles according to this recipe either with prawns, meat, tomatoes and mushrooms and serve it with sambal belacan or cut chillies.
[serves 2 ]
200 gm yellow noodles - rinsed with tap water in a colander
2 stalks of chai sim or bok choy - cut
1-2 tomatoes - cut wedges
2-3 dried mushrooms - soaked and cut
50 gm meat slices
1 big onion - peeled and sliced
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce to taste
dash of msg and pepper to taste
- Marinate meat slices with some soy sauce, water and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a non stick wok, fry mushrooms until aromatic. Add in meat slices, continue to stir fry until meat turns white.
- Add in onions and tomatoes. Stir fry to mix all the ingredients before adding water and seasoning. Bring to boil.
- Place yellow noodles on top, cover with lid and leave to cook for 1-2 minutes or until water is reduced [most important step is to cover lid to braise noodles].
- Remove lid, stir to mix noodles with ingredients, add in vegetables.
- Fry until vegetables are cooked.
- Dish up to serve.