Followers

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

STEAMED RICE CAKE [HUAT KUIH]

I have been making numerous steamed paus/buns for ancestor veneration, thought I should steamed some rice cakes [huat kuih] for a change.  At times, I do worry that my huat kuihs [fatt gao] would not smile because I received feedbacks that their attempts to steam huat kuihs failed.  But I believe it needs practice and some trial and error to get smiling, soft and spongy huat kuihs.
This time, I am happy with this recipe as kuihs did smile when I removed the lid.  The texture is soft and spongy, colour is nice and not too sweet.

Ingredients
[makes 14 cakes - depends on the size of the paper cases you use]
100 gm superfine flour
100 gm rice flour
1 tbsp custard powder
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp instant yeast
80 gm gula merah [Jaggery sugar]
20 gm castor sugar
180 ml water
some papercases

  1. Place sugar and water in a saucepan.  Heat up over low fire, stir to dissolve the sugar [not necessary to bring to boil].  Strain and cool.
  2. Combine the remaining ingredients [sifted] and yeast.  Gradually, stir in the cooled syrup water in one direction until the batter is smooth and runny thick consistency.
  3. Arrange paper cases over plastic or steel cups in a steaming tray. Pour in the batter until 70-80% full.  Cover to rest for 15 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, bring water to boil in steamer over high heat.  Steam kuihs for 15-20 minutes.  Off heat, remove lid and cool on wire rack.  Can steam huat kuihs in greased ceramic cups, too.

No comments: