Followers

Friday, January 4, 2019

MY UPGRADED DAILY HOME MADE BREAD LOAF

Unlimited knowledge to acquire irrespective of time and age. I was happy with My Daily Home Baked Wholemeal Bread Loaf since 3-4 years ago.  My hubby has not complained or got tired of having the same bread for breakfast for years. 
Recently, I went to get some baking ingredients from another store.  I discovered that they supply wheat germ and rye flour at a very much cheaper price than the regular store I used to get my baking stuff.  I have been adding wheat bran to my bread which I find to be good enough.  Now I discovered that with wheat germ with rye flour, my bread is soft, spongy and the texture is compact but not dry.  Very nice texture, super soft, fluffy and moist bread.  

Served with butter, my home-made preserves and a slice of cheddar cheese, it's awesome.  Finish it off with a cup of hot beverage is a good meal to start the day.
This recipe is for 2 loaves which is enough for four days for my family of three.
Ingredients
[makes 2 loaves x 600 gm or 24 slices of 1.5 cm width]
500 gm bread flour
50 gm wheat germ
50 gm rye flour
100 gm plain flour
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp jaggery sugar
6 tsp instant yeast
400 ml water [+-]
50 gm butter

  1. Knead all dough ingredients [except butter and water] on slow speed to combine.  Add in water gradually as you may need less than 400 ml.   Continue kneading on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [about 7-10 minutes].
  2. Add in butter and continue kneading on low speed from the start then turn to medium speed [Kenwood mixer - speed 3] when butter and dough has combined.  Knead for about 5-7 minutes until smooth, elastic and dough is not sticky.
  3. Form dough into a ball.  Place in a bowl covered to rest for 20 minutes or double in size.
  4. Punch down rested dough.  Divide into 2 equal portions.  Round up into a ball.  Fold into thirds then roll each portion into a long rectangle.   Roll up like swiss roll and seal the edges well.    Place the  loaves in greased Pullman's tins.
  5. Leave in oven to proof until double in size [about 1 hour or rise over the rim of the baking tin].
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 35 minutes.  Remove and cool on wire rack. 

3 comments:

Ong said...

Kimmy,

Who do you buy your rye flour which you are using now? I am interested and I am also from Penang. Can you please kindly let me know. My contact is Ong 0164525642. Thanks a lot.

Unknown said...

If i do not add wheat germ and rye flour, would it still be ok? Would I need to change the measurements?

Kimmy said...

Hi Unknown, yes you can replace wheat germ and rye flour by using all bread flour.